In the gay community
- Written by Jerry Buie
there are certain limitations with meeting other gay men and discussing issues relevant to gay life in Utah. This weekly support group is meant to facilitate a process in which gay men can intimately discuss issues relevant to their lives with other gay men.
Issues discussed have included:
- Coming Out to self, family, friends and co-workers
- Should I come out and how do I come out
- Sexuality and spirituality
- Exploring Spiritual options that include the essences of my sexuality
- The undiscovered gifts of being gay
- Relationship issues
- Isolation and how to connect and make friends in the community
- Dealing with family and friends in the coming out process
- Defining oneself as a gay man, and determining how to keep integrity with those things valued by the individual, and being true to self
The group is meant to be a forum that is motivated by the needs of the group. Each group takes on the identity of the participants, and topics are generated by the group culture and interest.
The overall objective is to build the intimacy and trust necessary that facilitates true growth in the interpersonal process. The purpose of the group is to provide a forum in which gay men can feel empowered to define their lives outside cultural expectations and pressures.
If you are interested in becoming involved in the Gay Men’s Support Group
. There will be an initial assessment prior to coming to group. This assessment involves introductory paperwork and discussion of the group process. If group therapy is not of interest to you, we do have individual sessions available.